BUCS Hill Climb 8 x 5
BUCS 8 x 5
BUCS Downhill 8 x 5
BUCS Time trials 8 x 5
BUCS Track Womens Medal winning Team 8 x 5
Club road rides 2 8 x 5
Club road rides 8 x 5
Halesowen outdoor track practice 8 x 5
MTB club rides 8 x 5
Training camp hill climbing 8 x 5
Training camps 8 x 5
Beautiful local training road rides 8x5
The University of Birmingham Cycling Club are a friendly club, catering to cyclists at all levels from recreational to professional standard. The club has members across all disciplines, from road to downhill, track to BMX.
Membership to the club gives you access to all training sessions- there are no entry requirements other than the ability to ride a bike. Whether you’re interested in competing for the club, get out riding on some new roads or trails, or are just interested in a sociable way of getting fit, the cycling club is for you.
Please check out the sections below for more information about membership, training times and how to get in touch.
We hope to see you soon out on a ride!
How to get involved
We offer 2 weeks free entry to club sessions so you can get a feel for the club, after which you must pay your £81 membership to attend any club sessions:
Full year membership: £81 (£65 club fee, and £16 UBSport fee)
Semester 2 & 3 only membership: £46 (£30 club fee, and £16 UBSport fee)
Triathlon top-up membership (for fully paid triathlon club members only): £40
Please note that on top of the club fee there is a £16 fee that covers personal accident insurance when training or competing for the University, access to free cross-training sessions such as circuits and yoga, as well as a contribution to the costs of affiliation to various national governing bodies. This fee is only payable once so if you did decide to join a second club then you would not need to pay a second fee.
For those who don’t want to cycle outdoors, UoB Sport and Fitness has indoor cycle classes that are bookable online.
Training times & venues
Wednesday 13:30 – Meet outside Sport & Fitness
Sunday 09:00 – Meet outside Sport & Fitness
Off- road rides:
Saturday 09:00- Meet outside Sport & Fitness
Indoor cycling (spinning) classes:
Tuesday 19:45-20:45 – Cycle Studio, Sport & Fitness
Thursday 19:30 – 20:30 – Cycle Studio, Sport & Fitness
Track sessions at Derby velodrome do not run on a regular schedule, please stay in touch via our social media
We host two training camps at year at venues away from Birmingham. The first weekend training camp takes place in Malvern in autumn term, and the 2nd longer training camp at the end of the summer term. Both training camps are open to road and off-road riders. Please stay in touch via our social media or email mailing list for details of these training camps as they are booked.
Paying your club membership gives you access to 5 sessions per week run by UoB Sport, as well as injury assessments (triage). These sessions are:
Yoga: Monday 07:30-08:30, Friday 08:30-09:30, Sunday 18:30-19:30. All held in the Dojo in Sport & Fitness
Circuits: Tuesday 07:30-08:30, Thursday 15:00-16:00. Both held in Studio 1, Sport & Fitness.
Triage Drop-in slots available: Monday & Thursday 11:00-13:00
Successes and Achievements
We are one of the most successful university cycling clubs in the country, with riders racing at the highest levels of international sport, in National, European and World Championship racing.
BUCS medals 2018/19 season:
Track– Molly Patch Individual Pursuit SILVER, Women’s Team Pursuit SILVER, Molly Patch Elimination race GOLD, Maddie Gammons Elimination race SILVER, Molly Patch Points race GOLD, Women’s team prize GOLD
10 mile Time Trial– Molly Patch GOLD, Women’s team SILVER
25 mile Time Trial– Molly Patch GOLD, Women’s team BRONZE
Road race– Anna Henderson GOLD, Molly Patch SILVER, Women’s team GOLD
Notable club members & alumni include:
- Anna Henderson: National circuit race champion 2018, U23s National Road Race champion 2019, U23s National Time Trial champion 2019,
- Ciara Horne– World Team Pursuit Champion 2015, Bronze medallist World Individual Pursuit 2015
- Molly Patch– Silver medallist National Team Pursuit championships 2019
- Joe Wallbridge– National Junior 4x champion 2014, National Junior 4x series winner 2015, Top 10 finisher in the 4X Senior World & National Series
- Xavier Disley– Founder of Aerocoach, an aero testing and aerodynamic components company, providing services for Grand Tour, UCI level & CTT teams
Interesting facts about the Cycling Club
- We are one of the most successful university cycling teams in the UK
- We organise several races open to the general public each year- including criteriums, time trials and cyclocross
- We own a range of club equipment including road, cyclocross & track bikes, turbo trainers & rollers, all of which can be borrowed free of charge by club members
- Our membership is one of the best value for money in the university, including extremely cheap indoor cycle classes
- We don’t have any minimum training attendance, making our club great to fit around any level of study, undergraduate or postgraduate